Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Birthday Run

Sunday was my birthday, so of course I did what any runner does, I started the day with a nice run. It was chilly, 38 degrees, but the sun was out. Finally, some sunshine!! I just headed out my front door and went around my neighborhood on a route that has the most views of the lakes. Like my last run, I didn't really have a plan other than I wanted to go about 5 miles. I ended up going 6.13, and took my time, 1:07. There were a few walk breaks in there, so the average pace was 11:05, but I was running closer to a 10 min mile. It's a nice way to celebrate your birthday, another year older, but still up and moving. Of course I'm not old or anything, but that is one of the inspiring things about running, there are people who run all of their lives.
One drawback- I felt great on my run, but my hip was so stiff later in the day, and in fact bothered me enough yesterday that I didn't do any type of workout. It is still a little sore today, but I might try a jog or walk and see if that helps.  I guess this is what a birthday run is all about, yes you can still run (good for you), but be careful cause you ain't getting any younger!
So, weather-wise, it has suddenly changed. I think it's going to warm up again into the 30s later in the week, but yesterday it stayed in the teens, and today is only 20 and breezy. For me this is sooooo cold!!! I really have to get some good winter running gear. We don't have a running store around here, but there are a few sports stores, plus I've been looking online. One blogger recommends Brooks gear, another one Nike, The North Face has some nice items, I've worn Athleta gear before so I know I like that. I have a hard time buying things that are so pricey when I can't see them in person. Just gotta take the plunge and buy something I guess. Or else I'll be stuck on a treadmill for the next however many months.
I know I can handle running in the 30s- something I never had to do in California. It's funny, the only winter running gear I owned in CA was a light jacket from Target and a pair of running gloves and a hat. And I hardly ever wore the hat or gloves and the jacket would end up tied around my waist by the end of the run. Our weather was so temperate in the winter compared to this place! If we were in the 30s during the day that was a major cold front, and I'd just use the treadmill for a couple of days until it warmed up into the 50s or 60s again.
I just realized I won't see the 50s or 60s again for months. Months! People around here say it's not really winter until the snow comes, so they are still living in the mindset that this is fall. For me, this is serious winter weather already. I have a feeling it's gonna be a looooong winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment